The Fine Arts League was founded in 1953 by a group of Buffalo artists who felt that realistic work was being discouraged by the local art societies in favor of the various forms of modern art. To oppose this trend, the founders specified that the new organization would be exclusively traditional, accepting only artists who were dedicated to realism. The 30 charter members elected Dr. Royal A. Paxton, a landscape painter, as president, and Laszlo Szabo, vice president.
Szabo won the Gold Medal in the League's first exhibition in the Grosvenor Library in May 1955. He was elected president the following year and for many subsequent years and was a zealous and articulate advocate of the League's aims. It was his ardent ambition to establish the League's own art school and museum, but he was unable to accomplish this. Following his death in 1970, the League took over his studio at 795 Elmwood Avenue (Elmwood at Auburn), continuing art classes there and maintaining it as the organization's headquarters. In August 1975, the League moved to larger quarters at 161 Marine Drive. Fine Arts League exhibits were held for 12 years in the Museum of Science building and later in the AAO Gallery. (The Associated Arts Organization was a group composed of the various local art societies, and ran a gallery in downtown Buffalo.)
Today, the League still maintains its focus on realism, but has expanded its scope to include artists who paint in all varieties of realism, including traditional, expressive, interpretive and any other variation of contemporary realism. The League holds two shows a year and exhibits at various locations in the area, including the Vern Stein Gallery, Parnters in Art, and others.
Fine Arts League of Buffalo
HomeHome News Spring Show 2013 New Member Jurying Members Board of Officers